Scripture Reference: Deuteronomy 28:1-1:14, Ephesians 1:3, 1 Peter 1:1-9
You Were Born RichDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | September 14, 1975
Selected highlights from this sermon
Ephesians 1:3 sets the theme for the rest of the book: believers are rich in Christ. We have been given many blessings in Christ, and in Him we have all that we need. These riches are spiritual, permanent, heavenly and given to us by God’s grace.
In this message, Pastor Wiersbe explains how the blessings we have as Christians can be better understood by contrasting them to the blessings God promised His people under the Old Covenant.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The theme of Ephesians is “be rich,” and the key verse is Ephesians 1:3.
It’s good to have the things money can buy as long as you don’t lose the things money can’t buy.
If you are in Christ Jesus, you are rich.
We have many blessingsin Christ.
The blessings we have as Christians are in contrast to the blessings God promised His people under the Old Covenant.
Four contraststhat help us understand how rich we are in Jesus Christ:
- The blessings God has given us are spiritual, not material.
- Spiritual blessings come through the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- The Spirit unitesus with Jesus, applying all His blessings as the perfect Son of God to us.
- You can’t judge a person’s spirituality by material things.
- Spiritual blessings go deeper than the material.
- Success in the Christian life does not mean material things.
- Our blessings can never lose their value.
- The blessings God has given us are heavenly, not earthly.
- The heavenlies represent the whole sphere of authorityand blessing and victorythat Jesus purchased through His death, burial, and resurrection.
- You don’t judge God’s goodness by material things because He has made us rich in His kingdom.
- If God has given you earthly riches, use them for His glory.
- The blessings God has given us are permanent, not temporary.
- God made us rich with His blessings as soon as we were saved.
- God has already given us every spiritual blessing we will ever need.
- We can always draw upon the blessings God has given.
- The blessings God has given us are given by grace, not law.
- We are not savedby our good works, so we cannot be lost by our bad works.
- When believers know how rich they are in Christ it does not make them want to go and sin.
- We don’t need substitutes because we have the real blessings.
We find all that we need in Christ Jesus.