How To Tell If You Are Filled With The Holy SpiritDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | March 28, 1976
Selected highlights from this sermon
Just as in Paul’s time, all believers are filled with the Holy Spirit, not just preachers or missionaries. The world has made miracles of the Holy Spirit such a controversial topic that we forget what it means to be filled with the Spirit.
Pastor Wiersbe answers four questions about the Holy Spirit including who He is and how anyone can be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The early churchis constantly referred to as full of the Holy Spirit.
Even the everyday, simple Christians were filledwith the Spirit, not just preachers and evangelizers.
Four basic questionsabout the Holy Spirit:
- What is the Holy Spirit?
- God the Spirit perfects and personalizes our salvation.
- When we were saved, the Spirit made our bodyHis temple.
- What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit?
- The Bible does not say anything about being baptizedwith the Spirit.
- To be filled means to be controlledby.
- It is a command to all Christians to be full of the Spirit.
- Being controlled by the Spirit is a constant experience.
- What are the evidences of the fullness of the Holy Spirit?
- There are three evidencesof being filled with the Holy Spirit: joy, thankfulness, and submission.
- The Spirit is concerned about our character.
- Joy is knowing the greatness of God’s blessing despite how we feel.
- Being thankful in all things means living without complaining.
- When we are submitted in obedienceto God, we can be submissive to those we have been commanded to.
- True spiritual unitycomes from submission to God’s way through the Holy Spirit.
- If you’re Spirit-filled the evidences will first appear where you live.
- How can we be filled with the Holy Spirit?
- To be filled with the Spirit we must be saved.
- The Holy Spirit uses our mind and will to glorify God.
- The fullness of the Spirit means my body belongs to Him.
- We can’t be filled until we are empty.
- To be filled with the Spirit, we must be emptied of our sinful nature and purified.
- To be filled with the Spirit, our motives must be right.
- The only valid motive to be filled with the Holy Spirit is to glorifyJesus Christ.
- Colossians 3 lays down a parallel for being filled with the Holy Spirit.
- If the Word of Goddwells in us richly, then the Holy Spirit has something to work with.
- The Spirit fills us and controls us with the Word.
Let the Holy Spirt of God take control of your life.