Scripture Reference: Ephesians 2:19-22
The Greatness Of The ChurchDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | December 14, 1975
Selected highlights from this sermon
God is seeking a habitationwith men.
Jesus took on a human body that He might come to Earth to die, be raised from the dead, and build His church.
Believers are being builttogetherfor a habitation of God by the Holy Spirit.
God dwellsin eternity, but He has chosen to make a habitation with us.
Five reasons for the greatnessof God’s temple, the church:
- A building is great because of its designer.
- God was the architect who designed the church in His wisdom and greatness.
- A building is great because of its design.
- The design of the church is based on grace.
- The greatness of the design depends on the foundation.
- Jesus Christ is the foundation and cornerstoneof the church that is then built upon by the disciples and apostles.
- The foundation determines the size, strength, shape.
- God’s church is large enough for any sinner, without barrier, and it will last for eternity.
- A building is great because of its builder.
- Jesus Christ is the builder of His church.
- Are you building others up or tearing them down?
- A building is great because of its cost.
- By modern prices [late 1970s], it cost about five million dollars to build the tabernacle, and the gold for the temple alone was worth eight billion dollars.
- Jesus is building a church that was purchased with His own precious blood.
- The church cost God His Son, cost Jesus His life, and cost the Holy Spirit the joys of heaven.
- Be careful what you say about or do to the church.
- God will destroy those who seek to destroy His temple.
- The greatest thing we can do is give our lives for God’s temple.
- We can share in the building of His temple through giving, going, teaching, and ministering.
- A building is great because of its occupant.
- The church is great because it is inhabited by God through the Spirit.
- God wants to dwell with His people.
- Our bodiesare the temple of God, making up the universal church.
- God wants His name to be glorifiedin the church.
Are you a part of God’s church?
Is there room in your heart for Jesus?
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.