He Sets You FreeDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | February 23, 1975
Selected highlights from this sermon
God made us to be free, but no one except Jesus Christ can free us from bondage. Believers have been given the Spirit of adoption: liberties we have in Christ through the Holy Spirit. Pastor Wiersbe explains how the Holy Spirit of adoption sets us free from fear, the Law, and corruption.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
Races and classes fight for freedom, but we need personal freedom.
No one but Jesus Christ can free us from our greatest bondage: sin.
God made us to be free.
The people that are really free are those living in the will of God.
The Spirit of adoption is about the liberties we have in Christ through the Holy Spirit.
Three kinds of bondage from which the Holy Spirit of adoption sets us free:
- The bondage to fear (Romans 8:14-17)
- When we were saved, we received a spirit of adoption that allows us to call God, “Abba Father.”
- We have an inward spirit of conviction that reflects how we stand before Christ.
- According to the Word of God there can be no conversion without conviction.
- We get into God’s family by regeneration, being born again.
- Once we are born again, God adopts us and gives us the standing of adult sons.
- We are born into God’s standing with life and legal standing.
- Knowing who we are in the family of God means we do not have to fear.
- The bondage to Law (Galatians 4:1-7)
- The unsaved person is under the judgment of the Law, but believers are under the Spirit of adoption.
- When we grow in godly maturity, we obey in love not fear.
- Live like you have been set free in love.
- The bondage to corruption (Romans 8:18-23)
- A believer’s spirit is redeemed, the soul is being redeemed, and the body will be redeemed.
- One day God will complete the work He has begun in us and we will receive glorified bodies.
Draw upon the riches of grace, mercy, glory, and wisdom that we have as children of God.