Scripture Reference: 2 Timothy 1:1-7
He Overcomes Your FearsDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | January 5, 1975
Selected highlights from this sermon
In this message, Pastor Wiersbe discusses how the Holy Spirit works in the inner man to help us handle the problems that affect our emotions and minds.
Fear is one of those problems that can have physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences. But by living in the power, love, and self-control the Holy Spirit provides, we can overcome any fear.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The first sermon in this series goes through the characteristics of the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is personal and works in the inner man.
If someone needs professional help from a psychologist, they should get it.
The everyday problems that affect our emotions and minds can be handled by the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit has several advantages over psychiatrist: He lives in us, He is always available, He knows us completely, He diagnoses correctly, and He doesn’t charge.
Everyone faces everyday fears in different ways.
Fear can have physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences.
The Holy Spirit of God can help us overcome fear, no matter what that fear is.
Three truths we must understand to have victory over fear through the Holy Spirit:
- The truth about fear: What are we really afraid of?
- Three kinds of fear: normal fears, phobias, and cowardness.
- Paul is talking about cowardness or the fear of living our lives.
- We are either afraid of circumstances, people, or ourselves.
- God already knows our inadequacy.
- The truth about the Holy Spirit: How does He help us overcome our fear?
- The Holy Spirit is a person with a mind, heart, and will.
- Our relationship to the Holy Spirit is one of grace.
- God gave us the Spirit as a gift.
- The Holy Spirit is the spirit of power for all of our circumstances.
- God gives us the grace we need when we need it.
- The Holy Spirit is the spirit of love, taking care of our fear of people.
- The Holy Spirit gives us a spirit of self-control so we can control our own mind.
- Disciplined living begins with disciplined thinking.
- The truth about our responsibility to the Holy Spirit: What must we do for the Spirit to be able to work?
- Just because the Holy Spirit is in us doesn’t mean He controls us.
- Fan the flame of the Holy Spirit in your heart, so He can give you what you need.
- Meditate on God’s Word and pray to keep the fire of the Spirit hot.
- We must surrender to the Holy Spirit.
Is the Holy Spirit active in your life?
We cannot face life alone without the Holy Spirit.
Substitutes for the Spirit will not last.