Glorious GroansDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | June 27, 1976
Selected highlights from this sermon
Due to sin, all of creation groans and suffers. Believers respond to creation’s groaning by groaning ourselves.
But our groaning is with hope. While we wait for the return of Jesus, we are being sanctified. We need not fall into a state of frustration or resignation because God keeps His promises and Christ will return and end our groaning and suffering.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
“War will be fought to bring about four freedoms: freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.” -Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Romans 8 is the Declaration of Independence for believers.
As Christians, we have four freedoms of our own (presented in sermon 1).
Three expressions that show how we can live without frustration:
- The whole creation groans (Romans 8:22).
- Sin entered all of creation.
- Man was created the king of creation, but he sinned and became the slave of creation.
- Everything man creates makes a few more problems.
- Creation is groaning because it longs to be delivered.
- Creation will be delivered when man is delivered.
- Man is groaning (Romans 8:23).
- Believers respond to the groaning of creation by groaning ourselves.
- We long for Jesus to come again in glory.
- The only hope for this world is for Jesus to come back.
- We are being sanctified every day, but our bodies should expect suffering.
- Trust in the promise of God that Jesus is coming again.
- Waiting doesn’t mean resignation, it means anticipation.
- The Holy Spirit groans (Romans 8:26).
- The Holy Spirits intercedes for us.
- He is the one who compensates for our mistakes and brings beauty to life.
- Never be afraid of the will of God because the will of God is an expression of the love of God.
- The Holy Spirit longs for Jesus to come and reign.
It is better to groan for glory now than suffer for all of eternity.
We groan because we wait in eager anticipation for Jesus’ return in glory.