VictoryDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | March 5, 1978
Selected highlights from this sermon
“It is finished” was a cry of victory. Jesus’ sacrifice was complete and perfect. There is nothing we can do to add to what Jesus did. When we trust Christ as our Savior, His righteousness covers the debt God’s law requires of us. That debt was paid in full by the blood of the Lamb.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
“It is finished” was a cry of victory!
The word “tetelestai” means “it is finished.”
What Jesus finished on the cross touches every person.
Three facts about the word tetelestai:
- It was a familiar word.
- Tetelestai was used by servants to tell their masters that their work was done.
- Jesus was a servant obedient even unto death on a cross.
- Priests would use tetelestai to say a sacrifice was perfect and complete.
- Jesus finished the picture of salvation.
- Jesus paid our debt in full.
- It was spoken by a faithful Savior.
- Jesus faithfully finished the work He began.
- Today, Jesus is faithful to us.
- It was about a finished work.
- The Old Testament prophecies were fulfilled.
- God met the righteous demands of His law.
- The work of salvation is finished.
- Jesus’ sacrifice never needs to be repeated.
- Jesus brings spiritual purification on the inside.
- Nothing can be added or taken away from salvation. It must only be accepted.