Scripture Reference: Luke 23:33-38
ForgivenessDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | January 22, 1978
Selected highlights from this sermon
Christ made seven statements from the cross that give us a window into the heart and mind of God. Pastor Wiersbe explores the wonders of the statement, “Father forgive them; they know now what they do” and how it applies to us today.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
Last words can say a lot about a person.
Christ made seven last statements on the cross that give us a window into the heart and mind of God.
Four wonders of the statement “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do”:
- The wonder of the address
- Jesus called God Father.
- Nothing Jesus was enduring changed His relationship with God.
- Is your faith shaken by the wickedness of sinners or the weakness of saints?
- Keep your eyes on the Father.
- The wonder of the appeal
- One of the most difficult things in the Christian life is to forgive.
- Jesus practiced what He preached.
- Forgiveness is the greatest experience in life.
- On the cross, Jesus prayed for lost sinners.
- The wonder of the argument
- Jesus presented an argument to God for why judgment should not fall on the people.
- The people that crucified Jesus were ignorant of who Jesus was and what they were doing.
- The wonder of the answer
- At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit convicted people of what they had done.
- Thousands of people got saved at Pentecost.
- Jesus held off judgment to give them that opportunity.