SubmissionDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | March 12, 1978
Selected highlights from this sermon
“Father, into your hands I commit My spirit,” describes how Jesus died: confidently, willingly, and victoriously. Pastor Wiersbe reminds us that we cannot know how or when we will die, but if we’ve lived in God’s Word, we’ll have no problem dying in God’s Word. If we trust in Jesus, we can have confidence in His death and His promise of eternal life.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
Jesus’ statement, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit,” describes how Jesus died.
People die the way they lived.
Characteristics of Jesus’ death:
- Jesus died confidently.
- Jesus died in the Father’s presence.
- God is not like any earthly father.
- Jesus died with God’s promise.
- If you’ve lived in God’s Word, you will have no problem dying in God’s Word.
- Jesus died in God’s protection.
- Believers also have the promise of eternal life.
- Jesus died willingly.
- No one else can choose the second their soul leaves their body.
- Jesus willed His own death and resurrection.
- Jesus’ death was an act of accomplishment.
- Jesus died victoriously.
- Sin was taken care of, and the veil was torn.
- Jesus died, and He got victory over death.
- Jesus died for all mankind.
The fear of death is a good motivation for doing good things.
No one knows how their life will end.
He who is not prepared to die is not prepared to live.
If we trust in Jesus, we can have confidence in His death and His promise of eternal life.