The Woman Who Would Not DelayDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | July 24, 1977
Selected highlights from this sermon
What’s worse than watching someone deteriorate physically? Pastor Wiersbe suggests that it’s watching a person deteriorate spiritually while pulling others down with them.
When we are first introduced to Rebekah in Genesis 24, she is kind, pure, courteous, and spiritual. But by the end of her life, she was a manipulating, scheming, lying, failure. As we study her life, let us be mindful that we are just as susceptible to this deterioration.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
One thing worse than watching someone deteriorate physically, is watching a person deteriorate spiritually and pull others down with them.
There are five chapters in the life of Rebekah.
- Chapter one is called “decision” and it is in Genesis 24.
- There were many reasons Rebekah had the makings of a good wife. She was pure, courteous, respectful, and spiritual.
- It is little, everyday decisions that add up to big things.
- God guides Rebekah through her little decisions.
- In the same way, we get saved by a decision.
- Chapter two is “devotion” in Genesis 25.
- Isaac prays for his wife, Rebekah.
- Rebekah herself is devoted to following the will of the Lord.
- Chapter three is “division” in Genesis 25.
- Isaac loved Esau, but Rachel loved Jacob.
- There was division between Isaac and Rebekah deteriorating their spiritual lives.
- Chapter four is “deception” in Genesis 27.
- Jacob lies over and over to his father Isaac.
- Rebekah was trying to deceive Isaac.
- Isaac was relying on the physical instead of the spiritual and it catches up to him.
- We look on sin as an act, but God looks at sin as a process.
- Whenever we tell the truth, the holy spirit works. But whenever we tell a lie, the devil works.
- How would we act if we thought we wouldn’t get caught?
- Chapter five is “disappointment”
- Rebekah wasn’t willing to give Jacob to God, and in the end, she lost him.
- Whatever you keep you lose.
Rebekah became a manipulating, scheming, lying, failure.
Good beginnings don’t always mean good endings.
“Faith is living without scheming.”
Give your life to the Lord.