Scripture Reference: Matthew 6:1-18, 1 John 1:5-10
When It Doesn't Pay To AdvertiseDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | August 14, 1977
Selected highlights from this sermon
What is hypocrisy? What is integrity? If you’re deliberately using spiritual things to cover up sin, then you’re on the side of hypocrisy. It’s time to switch sides because hypocrisy robs us of our character and our reward. Christians need to be men and women of integrity so that we may glorify God to those around us.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
Everywhere else in life it pays to advertise. But in the spiritual world it does not pay to advertise.
We can use spiritual things to sin.
God wants us to be people of integrity.
Jesus gives us three explanations about hypocrisy:
- What hypocrisy is
- Hypocrisy is deliberating using spiritual things to cover up sin.
- Hypocrisy is a sin of deception.
- Hypocrisy is putting up a front, wearing a mask, acting through life.
- A sincere Christian life is not something we put on and off.
- The motive of a sincere Christian life is to please God and get His will done.
- The Christian life is lived from within.
- What hypocrisy does
- Hypocrisy robs us of character.
- We become more concerned about what people think instead of what God thinks.
- Hypocrisy robs us of reality.
- Hypocrisy means we start living on substitutes for our heart and character.
- Hypocrisy robs us of influence.
- A person with integrity has power.
- Hypocrisy robs us of our reward.
- What we can do about hypocrisy
- Start with the part of your life that only God sees.
- Don’t major on the public, major on the private.
- Nobody should pray in public who isn’t praying in private.
- Be honest when you pray.
- Live before God’s eye all day long.
Holiness is to the soul what health is to the body.