What A Christian Really NeedsDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | July 3, 1977
Selected highlights from this sermon
The Sermon on the Mount is the portrait of a true Christian. How should a true Christian act? What should a true Christian’s attitude be towards sin? God? The world?
In this series of messages, Pastor Wiersbe discusses how we are often deceiving ourselves about everything from our health and finances to our eternal destination. He pulls it all together by looking at what a true Christian’s character is as defined in the Sermon on the Mount.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
One thing worse than being deceived is deceiving yourself.
There are millions of people that are trying to fool themselves about their health, finances, etc.
When we try and fool ourselves about our salvation we are dealing with eternity.
The Sermon on the Mount is the portrait of a true Christian.
The beatitudes are the attitudes that ought to be in our life.
Four basic attitudes we need to examine:
- Attitude toward ourselves (v 1-3)
- We are to be poor in spirit.
- We know ourselves and are honest about ourselves.
- This is not what the world says we should be like.
- The world’s self-esteem is blown into the worst kind of pride.
- A Christian’s attitude toward himself is I am nothing, but God is everything.
- Attitude toward our sins (v 4-6)
- Blessed are they that mourn over their sin.
- No one can get into the family of God still holding on to their sin.
- We come to the Lord broken, turning from our sin.
- The thing that keeps people out of heaven is self-righteousness.
- Repentance means to change our mind about sin.
- Attitude toward the Lord (v 7-9)
- Merciful, pure in heart, peacemakers.
- This is what our relationship should be to the Lord.
- A person is saved by the mercy of God and can now share that mercy with others.
- The unsaved person is at war with God.
- Attitude toward the world (v 10-16)
- The world means society without God.
- We live in the world physically, but do not conform to its patterns.
- We are called to be loving witnesses.
- The world is in darkness.
What is your attitude?
There are only two categories, blessed and cursed. Your decision about Jesus determines which one you are in.