Does The Golden Rule Really Work?Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe | August 28, 1977
Selected highlights from this sermon
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.” We have all heard the Golden Rule, but to many people it’s just a passive phrase or good idea. However, Jesus teaches that the Golden Rule is a necessity for believers; it grows our Christian character and gives God glory.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The Golden Rule = do to others as you would have them do to you
Jesus dares to tell us that the Golden Rule works.
To many people, the Golden Rule is just a beautiful sentiment.
Jesus says the Golden Rule is a necessity for our lives.
Three facts to consider when applying the Golden Rule to our lives:
- What the Golden Rule means
- The Golden Rule is not the sum total of the Christian life—it is not our religion.
- The Golden Rule does not lead to salvation.
- Jesus is describing an attitude towards other people of wanting the best for them.
- The Golden Rule is only for Christians.
- The Golden Rule makes us a channel for the love of God.
- Have a positive attitude on life.
- Don’t just stop doing evil, start doing good.
- What the Golden Rule costs
- If the Golden Rule is going to work in your life, you better be serious about life.
- One day we will all be judged by God, and He knows our motives.
- Start with the sin in your own life.
- We must have spiritual discernment from God.
- We must have a deep prayer life to be effective in following the Golden Rule.
- What the Golden Rule accomplishes
- The Golden Rule won’t make us more popular.
- The Golden Rule grows our Christian character.
- God gets the glory.
The Golden Rule is a daring adventure for Christians who are willing to take the risks involved in relationships, love, and truth.
God is asking us to do something He has already done for us. Jesus practiced the Golden Rule on Calvary.
Soul winning is continuing what Jesus did on Calvary.
How many of us dare to pay the price of following the Golden Rule?