The Safety Of A ShadowDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | February 1, 1976
Selected highlights from this sermon
Psalm 91 is a psalm of confidence in the protection and provision of God. It talks about living in the Holy of Holies under the shadow of God’s wings. Living in the Holy of Holies is equivalent to when Jesus commands us to abide in Him. When we put out trust in the Lord and abide in Him, he gives us great assurances for our Christian walk.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The safest place in the world is under the wings of God.
The wings of God are the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle.
Psalm 91 is about abiding in the Holy of Holies, under the shadow of God’s wings of protection.
As believers, we have the same blessings and responsibilities as Old Testament priests to enter the Holy of Holies.
Psalm 91 is a psalm of confidence in the shelter of God.
Living in the Holy of Holies is equivalent to when Jesus commands us to abide in Him.
Four assurances that we can have if we’re living in the Holy of Holies:
- Believers have assurance of adequate of protection.
- In the Old Testament, God promised physical protection to His people when they obeyed
- We are not given the same promise in the New Testament, but we are told that God protects His own.
- Trials in this world may hurt us, but they cannot eternally harm us.
- When believers who live in the Holy of Holies encounter trials, danger, or hardship, we do not need to be afraid.
- God does not protect us to pamper us. He protects us to prepare us.
- Believers have assurance of answered prayer.
- In order to get to the Holy of Holies, you had to go through the whole Tabernacle, including the altar.
- We must be saved to have the assurance of answered prayer.
- The Holy Spirit guides us to pray for the right things.
- Abiding in the Holy of Holies is a day by day experience, and prayer should come naturally.
- Believers have assurance of God’s abiding presence.
- God promises to be with us in trouble.
- When the child of God is in the will of God, He is always with us.
- We are immortal until our work is done.
- God carries us through life for His glory.
- The God that is with us is the Most High God.
- Our feelings can be wrong, but we know God is there because of His Word.
- Believers have assurance of abundant provision.
- The Christian in the will of God lives a more satisfying life than anyone else.
- God enables and enriches us to live a full life in preparation for eternity.
- God is building character in our lives, and that is the only thing we take to heaven.