Scripture Reference: Psalms 87, Hebrews 12:18-24
God's Favorite CityDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | February 15, 1976
Selected highlights from this sermon
Zion in the Old Testament is an illustration of believers under the New Covenant. Psalm 87 talks about Zion both on an earthly level (Israel) and on a heavenly level (the church). As believers, there are many privileges that come with being part of God’s heavenly Zion. Are you part of that heavenly Zion?
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The psalmist praises Zion even though, at that time, there wasn’t anything great about it.
Zion in the Old Testament is an illustration of believers in the New Testament.
The church doesn’t take the place of Israel in Old Testament prophecies, but what Zion is to the Old Covenant believer, heaven and the New Jerusalem are to New Covenant believers.
Psalm 87 talks about Zion on an earthly level that relates to Israel, and on a heavenly level that relates to the church.
God promised Abraham two families: an earthly family, Israel, and a heavenly family, the church.
The glories believers have in Zion:
- The glory of Zion’s foundation.
- Scripture says the joy of the whole Earth is Mount Zion.
- Everything God is building in this world He is building on the foundation of Zion.
- Our knowledge of God, the Bible, and our Savior all came from the Jews.
- The first church was established in Jerusalem (Zion).
- God laid a foundation in Jerusalem and has been building on it ever since.
- Jesus is our foundation.
- The glory of Zion’s favor.
- God favored Zion over all other cities.
- God is jealous over Zion.
- Believers can rejoice because God has shown us His favor.
- The glory of Zion’s family.
- Believers are born again into the family of God.
- On an earthly level, one day God will establish a kingdom in Zion, and the Gentile nations who have been opposed to Israel will rejoice that they belong to Israel.
- We are all one in the body of Christ.
- The glory of Zion’s fountains.
- Eventually, all springs of blessing will come from Jerusalem.
- All of our springs should be found in the heavenly Zion.
- Where do you get your satisfaction, refreshment, and strength?
- Our spiritual fountains are the Word of God, fellowship in the church, and the Holy Spirit.
Do you belong to God’s heavenly Zion?
The glories of Zion are ours if we have trusted Christ and been born again.