LifeDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | December 4, 1977
Selected highlights from this sermon
The first four verses of 1 John talk about the experience of eternal life. Before God gave us His Son, people lived in death, darkness, and despair. But as Pastor Wiersbe explains the four stages of this life that God gave us, we see that the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ transcends everything we’ve known before.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
If someone from outer space came to Earth during the Christmas season, would they know what it’s all about?
John is talking about the manifestation of life—the experience of eternal life.
God’s life transcends everything we have known before.
This experience of life has four stages:
- The life was needed.
- Before life, there was darkness.
- Darkness is a picture of Satan.
- There are forms of life that can live in darkness, but none of us want to be a fungus in a cold dark cave.
- Before life, people were sitting in death, darkness, and despair.
- Do you need this life?
- The life was manifested.
- “Manifest” means to reveal what has been hidden.
- God stepped out of heaven into our world.
- If you want to know what kind of life God wants you to live, look at Jesus.
- Eternal life does not just mean living forever; everyone will live forever.
- Eternal means the life of God.
- This life is a joyful life.
- The life was received.
- To receive is to believe.
- Have you received this life?
- You can give excuses as to why you haven’t received the life, but you can’t give one good reason.
- The life was shared with others.
- It’s inconceivable to possess life and not want to share it.
- Your parents shared life with you when you were born.
- Someone shared Jesus’ message of life with you.
- We want to share our joy and fellowship with others.
- If you know you have eternal life, are you sharing it with others?
What stage of life are you at?
The promise of Christmas is life—joyful, full, eternal life through Jesus Christ.