The Cost Of Discipleship In The Third Reich Part 3
July 26, 2022
Part 3 of 3
We all want to be in control of our life and our future. Yet Dietrich Bonhoeffer gave his life for his allegiance to Christ rather than the swastika. Before his physical execution was ordered, he died to himself. In this message on the Hebrews 11 martyrs, we ponder how to die to ourselves. It starts today.
Six million Jews dead.
The monstrosity of Adolf Hitler’s Third Reich remains a stunning chapter in the pages of history. Although the power by which he hypnotized an entire nation is legendary, one question in particular begs an answer: where was the church of Christ?
Seduced by the satanic majesty of the Führer, church leaders throughout Germany allowed the swastika a prominent place alongside the Christian cross in their sanctuaries. Nationalistic pride replaced the call of God to purity, and with few exceptions the German church looked away while Adolf Hitler implemented his ‘Final Solution’ to his Jewish problem. How did this happen?
In Hitler’s Cross, Erwin W. Lutzer examines the lessons that may be learned from studying the deception of the church:
- the dangers of confusing church and state
- how the church lost its focus
- the role of God in human tragedy
- the parameters of Satan’s freedom
- the truth behind Hitler’s hatred of the Jews
- the faithfulness of God to His people who suffer for Him
- comparisons between Hitler’s rise and the coming reign of the Antichrist
- America’s hidden cross—her dangerous trends
Hitler’s Cross is the story of a nation whose church forgot its primary call and discovered its failure too late.