Scripture Reference: 2 Corinthians 12:1-10
ConflictDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | September 18, 1977
Selected highlights from this sermon
Suffering on Earth can often arise due to the conflict between God and Satan. As believers in Christ, we should expect to be under attack from this enemy. However, there is encouragement: God’s grace is sufficient to see us through, and as we come to understand who Satan is in relation to God, we can keep going in the midst of suffering.
For believers, Earth is the only suffering we will ever know. For unbelievers, Earth is the only Heaven they will know. Make sure you know which side of the battle you’re on!
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
God’s grace is sufficient.
The second reason for suffering in this world is conflict.
There is an enemy in this world that is in conflict with God.
Satan is fighting against believers.
Christians can have victory over Satan because we understand why suffering happens.
Four declarations from the Bible that encourage us in the battle against Satan:
- Satan is recognized as God’s enemy.
- Satan rebelled against God, and he declared war against God.
- Satan is the originator of sin.
- Sin entered the human race through Adam, but sin entered the universe through Satan.
- The name Satan means adversary, and the serpent represents deceiver.
- Satan is a liar and a murderer.
- The Christian life is not a playground; it is a battleground.
- If Satan is the enemy of God, he is the enemy of believers.
- Satan is restricted and restrained by God’s will.
- Job was a godly, wealthy man, but he had everything taken away from him.
- Job still blessed the name of the Lord.
- God was in control of Satan in the story of Job.
- When Satan throws you in the furnace, God keeps His hands on the thermostat.
- Satan is resisted by God’s grace.
- It’s not always God’s will to deliver us from a trial.
- The greatest miracle God gives us is the grace to find joy in suffering.
- God is glorified most when He helps us to enjoy suffering.
- Satan is reserved for God’s judgment.
- Satan will be destroyed forever in God’s time.
Because we know who Satan is in relation to God, we can keep going in the midst of suffering.
The will of God will not lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you.
You are either God’s side or Satan’s side in this battle.
This Earth is the only suffering Christians will ever know. But Earth is the only Heaven unbelievers will ever know.