The Third Reich And The Blood Of The Martyrs Part 2
July 20, 2022
Part 2 of 3
What might have happened if all the pastors and their congregations in Germany stood up to Hitler? Some did, like Dietrich Bonhoeffer. In this message, we mark the characteristics of martyrs who gave their lives for the Gospel both in Scripture and in the 1940’s. Many gave their lives rather than bow the knee.
Six million Jews dead.
The monstrosity of Adolf Hitler’s Third Reich remains a stunning chapter in the pages of history. Although the power by which he hypnotized an entire nation is legendary, one question in particular begs an answer: where was the church of Christ?
Seduced by the satanic majesty of the Führer, church leaders throughout Germany allowed the swastika a prominent place alongside the Christian cross in their sanctuaries. Nationalistic pride replaced the call of God to purity, and with few exceptions the German church looked away while Adolf Hitler implemented his ‘Final Solution’ to his Jewish problem. How did this happen?
In Hitler’s Cross, Erwin W. Lutzer examines the lessons that may be learned from studying the deception of the church:
- the dangers of confusing church and state
- how the church lost its focus
- the role of God in human tragedy
- the parameters of Satan’s freedom
- the truth behind Hitler’s hatred of the Jews
- the faithfulness of God to His people who suffer for Him
- comparisons between Hitler’s rise and the coming reign of the Antichrist
- America’s hidden cross—her dangerous trends
Hitler’s Cross is the story of a nation whose church forgot its primary call and discovered its failure too late.