Foundation Facts About Spiritual GiftsDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | April 20, 1975
Selected highlights from this sermon
Pastor Wiersbe explores the foundation Paul lays for the matter of spiritual gifts. The Bible tells us that the Trinity works together in the giving, administering, and operating of gifts. Our spiritual gifts are to be used for the good of everyone and the glory of God.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
Pastor Wiersbe begins his series on 1 Corinthians 12–14 on spiritual gifts by exploring the foundation Paul lays.
Four foundational facts to help us understand spiritual gifts:
- Spiritual gifts are important.
- Spiritual gifts are important to four different people: the individual Christian, the church, the world, and God.
- We were all born with specific talents and abilities. God does not expect us to be something we’re not.
- The church is only effective when individuals know and contribute their gifts.
- The whole Trinity is involved with spiritual gifts.
- God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit work together in the giving, administering, and operating of gifts.
- Spiritual gifts are governed by the Word of God.
- The Word of God is the test of our experiences, not the other way around.
- The most spiritual thing the Holy Spirit can do in your life is bring about the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit doesn’t bypass your mind, He makes God the Lord of your mind.
- Whatever your position on spiritual gifts is, can you back it up with the Word of God?
- Spiritual gifts are varied.
- Paul uses five different words when referring to spiritual gifts: spiritual (noematic), gifts (charismatic), administrations (for ministry), operations (energy), and manifestation (revelation).
- Spiritual gifts are workings of God through the Holy Spirit that glorify Christ and build the church.
- The gifts are varied because there are many ministries to be performed.
- Spiritual gifts are for the good of the whole church.
- Spiritual gifts are tools to build with, not toys or weapons.
- With the spiritual gifts there should be humility, harmony, and growth.
Have you received the Holy Spirit?
Have you discovered and developed your spiritual gifts?
Are you willing to use your gift for the good of everybody and the glory of God?