Confession Of A Happy PastorDr. Warren W. Wiersbe | September 12, 1976
Selected highlights from this sermon
Paul wrote to the church in Philippi because he wanted to remind them what it means to be a joyful church. A joyful church is one of submission, service, and sacrifice on the part of each individual. Pastor Wiersbe discusses each of the joys we can experience in the church and how Christ is our example of each.
Transcripts for Dr. Wiersbe's sermons are forthcoming. Below is an outline of his message.
The theme of Philippians is joy.
Paul was writing as a pastor to the church of Philippi.
Paul wanted the church to be a joyful church.
It breaks Paul’s heart when the people of the church are not getting along.
Four kinds of joy we can experience in the church.
- Joy of submission (Philippians 2:1-4)
- There was trouble in the Philippian church because of strife and vainglory.
- When we are submitted to God and others, we become like-minded.
- The motivation for unity in the church is a common love of Christ.
- Christ is our example of submission.
- Joy of service (Philippians 2:12-16)
- We are called to work out our problems in the way God wants us to.
- The ministry of the church is not imitation but God working in us.
- Each local church ministry could look different than others.
- When we pray, the Holy Spirit gives us wisdom to know what God wants each church to do.
- God works through prayer, worship, and suffering.
- We are to serve without grumbling so we might be a testimony to others.
- Jesus came in the form of a service.
- We are not on Earth to get; we are here to give.
- Joy of sacrifice (Philippians 2:17-18)
- We may be called to sacrifice money and time.
- We must give of ourselves for God’s work.
- Joy of satisfaction (Philippians 2:16)
- Our ultimate satisfaction and joy will be found in heaven.
- We will one day give an account of our ministry on Earth.
- We will rejoice in the glory of the Lord.
- We will be rewarded for our submission, service, and sacrifice.
The joy of the Lord is what keeps us going through submission, service, and sacrifice in the church.
We are a joyful church and people because we are serving Christ.